Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 5 June 2

Hello All,
A very tired group says hi...we left early (6 a.m.) from Kingman, Az and made good time on I-40 along the old Route 66. Unfortunately, when I (Linda) was driving, due to very poor signage, we ended up on Business I-40 at rush hour in Flagstaff. Once we got back on track, we made is toWilliams and Winslow on and off 66.  The old highway through this area is ok in places--generally in the towns but often disappears from neglect or closure in rough terrain. 

We had a wonderful breakfast at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow. This place is an amazing little peice of the old southwest that has been brought back to life and was featured in Sunset Magazine as a must-see. We strolled through the public rooms, gift shop and grounds. The place was a Harvey House during the depression era and was considered the best hotel in the southwest during that era.  It didn't suvive the decline of passenger railroads but the hotel, restaurant and grounds have now been restored to their original glory.

We stopped at the visitors' center at the New Mexico border. The red rock formations and cliffs were magnificent  and the weather was perfect. We continued our drive and had planned to stay at Grants, but it was very smoky due to forest fires, so we drove on to Albuquerque for the night. We had to reset our watches and lost an hour and are about ready to hit the sack (although it is only 7).

Kristina is on her way to my house. Hope the cat isn't too mad...

More tomorrow from Texas.

See you,
Linda, Richard, and Ella Ruth.

2 comments:

  1. We found you!!! Why are you getting up sooooo early???!!! We'd be getting up around 8 am, breakfast at 9 am, then driving for 6 hours or so. Send us pics of the old Route 66!! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Priscilla!! I hope you get this, it doesn't show that Howie wrote earlier. We will read your updates each day. It sounds great so far and I think it's a great idea to follow Rt. 66. I watched that show when I was a little younger.

    ReplyDelete