Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 21 June 18

Hello Blog Followers,

We had a breakfast at the hotel. Richard and I decided to spend the morning at the National World War II Museum while Robert and Trystan devoted themselves to other attractions.

The museum is absolutely incredible. As part of the museum, we viewed a very moving film narrated by Tom Hanks called Beyond the Borders. The film was about an hour long and was an IMAX production with motion and other incredible special effects. As we reclined in our seats, real snow fell as we were taken into the battle of the bulge, flack exploded around us as we flew in a bomber over enemy territory, etc. The remainder of the tour can easily last 2  to 3 hours. If I were a history teacher, my students would spend a week at this museum.


 


When we returned to the hotel, Robert, Trystan, Richard and I drove over to Ward Nine to see the areas where levees had broken during Hurricane Katrina. Having read Zeitoun’s great book on the aftermath of the storm, it was extremely interesting. And it is unbelievable how much still needs to be done all this time.

We celebrated Father’s Day on Saturday, because Robert and Trystan had to leave on Sunday. We ate at a great place in a neighborhood a few miles from our hotel. We chose a place that had great local reviews found after a brief on-line search: the Crescent Pie and Sausage Company. It was in a very non-tourist neighborhood, was small, loud and had great food. I think the average age of the patrons went up several years when Richard and I arrived.

We drove back to the hotel and said good night and goodbye. Robert was to leave about 3:30 am the next morning and we would drop off Trystan at the airport three or four hours later.




Happy Trails to All,
Linda and Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment